Even the next block over can be an adventure - Troublesome Creek that winds through Hindman, Kentucky is where my adventure began

Monday, March 8, 2010

Hither: Oscar hoopla in Columbus

I'm a fan of Oscar hoopla. Yesterday (on Sunday), for the 4th year in a row, my name and picture were in the Columbus Dispatch to prove it. As a member of CAMPP (Columbus Academy of Motion Picture Pickers) I've seen all the nominated movies in the top categories and have given my take on who should win. My quote about Colin Firth was included.

This year there was not one particular movie that made me say to someone, "You have to see this movie." That's not exactly true. I did say that about The Messenger--- and The Hangover.

The other movie not to miss is The Road. I loved it. Alas, it was not even on the Oscar list. Sure it's a depressing movie, but oh, so poignant.

Last night my friends and I had a grand time at the Oscar Red Carpet Bash at the Drexel Theater. Two of us won trivia questions for prizes. As one of my friends said at the event, "It feels like being there" --meaning at the actual ceremony.

My favorite line from the award speeches was from the guy who told any kids watching at home, "Creativity is not a waste of time." Or something like that.

Photo: from the Columbus Dispatch. I'm the second row on the end (on the right)

My quote, in case you can't find it in the article:

"Firth embodied what happens to a person when quiet grief and dispair have nowhere to go."

2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo!! I just read "Blood Meridian" so I'm all about "The Road."

    I actually didn't like "The Hangover" that much! I guess it didn't really live up to all the hype I was hearing. Maybe I need to give it another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RockitQueen, you have the award of being my first commenter. At the moment you are my only commenter. Whoo! Next time I see you, I'll give you a prize.

    I didn't know much about the Hangover when I saw it. It was just so darned stupid. But, then I loved Three Amigos, so that should tell you something.

    ReplyDelete